History of the Maryland/Delaware District
Our District was formed several years ago (i.e we don't rememeber exactly when). When the District was first formed, the Directors in charge were called State Directors and later the position changed to District Directors.
These are the Directors who served for the Maryland District:
- Walter Taylor - 1st State Director
- Richard France - 2nd State Director - Richard served as Region B Director after serving his term as State Director.
- Claude Christensen - 3rd State Director
- Al & Patty Vogel - 4th State Directors
- Roger & Debbie Dunn - 5th in line, but now District Directors
- Bruce & Dori Mayer - 6th District Directors
- Tommy & Ruthie Chedester - 7th District Directors
- Charles & Shirley Dorsey - 8th District Directors
- Fred & Judy Haynes - 9th District Directors
- Charles Gallagher - 10th District Director
- Allen & Gwen Willingham - 11th District Directors
- Ray & Cheryl Hartman - 12th District Directors
- Bruce Hill & Regina Smith - 13th District Directors - During their term, the Maryland District became the Maryland/Delaware District (2018)
- Danny & Paulette Horton - 14th District Directors
Special Titles - The Maryland District had two special titles for members of the East & West Coast
- East Coast
Frank Gillespie was the East Coast Ambassador.
- West Coast
[We never found out the name of the West Coast Ambassador.]
Maryland State Rally - Claude Christensen, the 3rd State Director, started the first State Rally at the Holiday Inn in Gathersburg, MD.
Winter Thing - Claude Christensen also started the first Winter Thing Rally in Timonium, MD. Both rallies were held annualy.
Charlie Gallagher District Director's Award - (formerly District Director's Award) - This award recognizes an individual or couple who, in the estimation of the District Director, has gone "above and beyond" for the good of the Maryland/Delaware District. It was later renamed the Charlie Gallagher District Directors Award in memroy of our past District Director that succumbed to his fight with cancer on August 5, 2008.
Jimmy Cobert Memorial Award - In 1998, the Maryland District established the Jimmy Colbert Memorial Award due to Jimmy's exceptional leadership as Assistant District Director after his passing.
Current Annual Maryland/Delaware District List of Events
- District Winter Thing
- District Couple Selection Process
- District Vacation
- District Cruise
Past Annual Maryland/Delaware District List of Events
- District Rendezvous
Current Award Programs
- Visitation Certificate Program
- High Mileage Plaque Program
When the Maryland District was first formed, the directors at the chapter level were called Area Representatives. Through the years the position title changed to Chapter Director.
Our District has had as many as 12 active chapters. Currently there are 9 active chapters in the Maryland/Delaware District. They are Maryland Chapters B, C, F, H, I, J & L with Delaware Chapters A & B. Maryland Chapters A, D, E, G and K are no longer active.